Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cultural communications issues: high vs. low context styles

I recently came across some fascinating work by a man named Edward Hall. The research took place years ago, but still is relevant today. Hall developed the concept of high context vs. low context communications styles. The former refers to an environment in which communications occurs more by context and less by words. For example, I come into a room and see that everyone but one person has a beverage. So, without saying or asking anything, I give a beverage to that person. I obtained my information by looking and observing, i.e. from context.

Suppose, instead, I went to that person, and said, "would you like a beverage?" Then suppose I said "OK, I'll get you one." Then, after giving it, I said "Here it is." This second example illustrates low context communications. There's more use of words, and less on observation.

Problems can arise if a person is expecting one context level of communications and gets another. This issue arises particularly with people of different cultures. Hall posited, for example, that many Asian cultures have higher levels of context, while the US has lower levels. So, on the one hand, we could annoy people by telling them too much, but also by telling them too little.

Keep this concept in mind when communicating with people, especially from different cultures.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites