Friday, May 2, 2008

The snappy answer that (maybe?) I could have given?

Back to the Computerworld article, in which I discuss career suicide. As I said in a previous post, I did not report back to "Carl" about what the other executive said about him, that is, the comment "Why should I care what 'Carl' thinks?"

I have a different question now. I did not say anything in response to this question, but merely thanked the person and hung up.

What if I had said instead, "Well, I thought Carl was well respected in the organization, and that his opinion would mean something. Was I wrong to think that?"

Would this response have been appropriate?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It could be appropriate, depending on how you went about it. If you said it in a nice way, it could resuscitate a dying business opportunity and could give you insight into why X manager dislikes Carl. However, if said in a mean way, it could have been picking a fight, and in the end could generate negative feelings toward you that could eventually cause problems for you.

Remeber that you already know this manager has limited scruples about bad-mouthing people he works with. If you get sharp with him, it might be Carl hearing gossip about you next time...

 
Add to Technorati Favorites