Thursday, April 3, 2008

No overcoats permitted at the Renoir exhibit!

A few weeks ago, my wife, daughter and I attended the Renoir exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. This exhibit was well attended, so I figured parking would be a problem. After dropping them off, I headed off to find a parking spot. A few minutes later my wife called, upset about an incident that occurred as they were entering. Apparently, my daughter had worn her ski jacket into the museum, rather than checking it, as my wife had done. A museum staff person approached my daughter and told her that she (my daughter) HAD to check her jacket. My wife was upset not so much at this requirement as she was at the way the directions were given.

While I was on the phone, my wife, she asked that person to speak to me. This person explained that because of the large number of attendees, space was an issue. My daughter's jacket, in their view, was sufficiently bulky that it might cause problems within the exhibit. In fact, the person told me, they had had an incident in which two people collided, and one of them brushed against one of the paintings.

After hanging up and parking the car, I entered the museum. As soon as I did so, a guard asked me to check my own jacket as well.

I can understand this policy, now that it had been explained. However, the museum could have taken one simple step: namely, to publicize this policy in writing. Doing so helps set expectations of visitors. In addition, it helps "take the heat off" guards, some of whom probably received negative comments.

Learn from this situation: if you to be persuasive with someone, it helps to be able to point to a piece of paper or sign that supports your view. That outside evidence can augment your own credibility.

The exhibit was otherwise fantastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they do this to keep people from hiding cameras and taking pictures in the museum. The real issue is why do they lie and make up silly excuses - was the museum crowded when you visited?

 
Add to Technorati Favorites