Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Principles from giving driving directions

I don't know why, but I love looking and reading maps. I love giving directions to people who are looking for a particular place. Even when I'm away from home, for example if I'm in Washington, invariably someone will stop me and ask for directions. Yes, maybe they're sizing me up because they want to mug me lol. Nonetheless, I still like giving directions.

Giving directions involves communications. We don't want people to get lost, so it's important our directions be clear. The principles involved in giving directions apply to the way we communicate in our jobs as well.

"Begin with the end in mind."

If this phrase sounds familiar, it's because it came from Steven Covey, the author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Dr. Covey recommends that before starting a project, to think about what we want our results to be.

In the specific case of giving driving directions, think about beginning your directions with a description of the final destination, rather than by simply giving turn-by-turn instructions. Why? You might save the other person time, if he or she recognizes the place.

One time I was trying to find the location of a business near my home. I went to their web site, and saw the following instructions:
  • Take Route 202 southbound to the Route 252 northbound (North Valley Forge Road)
  • Make a right at the bottom of the ramp onto Route 252 northbound
  • Take Route 252 northbound about 0.1 miles to first traffic light
  • Make a right at light (Anthony Wayne Drive)
  • Immediately make a sharp right into Gateway Shopping Center
Look at these directions, and keep in mind the Covey principle. Also, remember that I said this business is near my home. How would you change these directions?

If I were doing them, I would mention Gateway Shopping Center first, as an introductory paragraph. My theory and assumption is that most of the people who are interested in this business already are familiar with the general area. By telling "Gateway Shopping Center" first, you save many of them the time and effort of reading through the whole set of directions.

By rewording the directions to put destination first, you are "beginning with the end in mind." More importantly, you are communicating from the point of view of your listener.
 
Add to Technorati Favorites